Nicosia Municipal Art Center
The Nicosia Municipal Arts Centre associated with the Pierides Museum of Contemporary Art was opened in January 1994 and is situated at the Old Electric House building generously donated to the Nicosia Municipality by the Cyprus Electricity Authority.
The building, a classic specimen of industrial architecture in Cyprus was built according to the Bauhaus movement principles and was restored to its original condition ensuring that all the prerequisites a contemporary cultural center should have were met a fact for which it was honoured with the 1994 Europa Nostra award.
The opening of the Nicosia Municipal Arts Centre on 14 January 1994 in cooperation with the Pierides Museum of Contemporary Art was made in conjunction with the opening of its first thematic exhibition titled ‘Tree’ that took place on the same day. The former President of the Republic Mr Glafkos Clerides honoured the hosts of the exhibition with his presence at both the opening of the Centre and the opening of the exhibition.
The Nicosia Municipal Arts Centre, one of its kind in Cyprus, promotes contemporary artistic creations. In its years of operation it has established cooperation with Museums and Foundations throughout the world and has organized significant exhibitions from Greek and International artists like ‘Four Greek Modern Artists – Parthenis, Tsarouhis, Gigas, Moralis’ in cooperation with the National Gallery of Greece, ‘Flight Course’ from the Espace d’ Art Moderne et Contemporain de Toulouse, ‘Vincent Van Gogh’ from the Collection of the Vincent Van Gogh Foundation in Arles, ‘Picasso, 156 Engravings, Mougins 1968-72’ from the Collection of the Picasso Museum in Paris and the Saint Etienne Museum of Contemporary Art, ‘Revolutions 1950-1960-1970’ in cooperation for a part of the exhibition with the Brighton Museum-The Royal Pavillion, ‘Views of Scotland’ in cooperation with the Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery of Glasgow. It has also cooperated with the Galery Maeght of Paris, the Groninger Museum of Holland, the AFAA of the Ministry of Culture of France, the British Council, the Museum of Byzantine Culture of Salonica, the Averof Museum of Metsovo and the Pierides Gallery in Glyfada for the carrying out of thematic and retrospective exhibitions.
The Centre has developed close relations with centers of common interest abroad and mostly in Europe thus creating a continuous movement and exchange of ideas and experiences in the field of Contemporary Creations. Experimental expression is one of its main interests as well as all the latest movements that create a correlation between Art and Technology.
In 1996 the first stage of educational programmes started for the children of primary schools in Cyprus in cooperation with the Ministry of Culture and Education.
The Centre includes:
1. Exhibition Halls. Three halls covering an area of about 1000 square metres.
2. Three Permanent Collections of the Pierides Foundation.
3. The History of Art Library. It includes rare publications on art, catalogues of exhibitions, special publications and a great variety of international art magazines.