The Pierides Foundation (1974), a non-profit organization, is based in Larnaca and also maintains a branch in Athens.
Its main aim is the projection of the Greek Civilisation (both Greek and Cypriot) through its collections of numerous representative samples that cover a 9000-year spectrum of Art in the Greek Nation.
The Foundation orginizes:
- exhibitions and events organized in Cyprus, Greece and other countries,
- is involved in the sponsorship and publication of material related to its aims,
- provides scholarships for post-graduate education in the field of Archeology, History, History of Art and Study of Museums,
- repatriates Cypriot antiquities that were smuggled out of the country,
- organizes International Conferences on Cyprus Archaeology, philosophy, palaeography, Cyprus folk art and contemporary artistic creations,
- sponsors archeological excavations in Cyprus.
Museums and Cultural places that were created and operate from the Pierides Foundation and co-operations:
1. The Pierides Museum, Larnaca
2. The Nicosia Municipal Arts Centre, Nicosia
3. The D.Z. Pierides Library of the History of Art at the Nicosia Municipal Arts Centre, Nicosia
4. The Pierides Foundation Modern Greek Engravings Collection (Greek and Cypriot), Nicosia
5. The Tornaritis-Pierides Municipal Museum of Marine Life, Ayia Napa, Famagusta
6. Pierides-Tornaritis Municipal Museum of Paleontology, Larnaca
7. Pierides Museum at the Athinais Multi-Purpose Venue, Athens, Greece
8. The Pierides Foundation Avgorou Ethnographic Museum
Programmes – Future Museums:
1. The Crusades Museum at the Colossi Castle (1240BC), Limassol
2. The Ethnologic Museum in Larnaca
3. The Municipal Museum in Ayia Napa, Famagusta