The Nicosia Municipal Arts Centre associated with the Pierides Museum of Contemporary Art hosts a permanent collection of paintings and sculptures that includes significant works of art from the Pierides Museum of Contemporary Art in Greece. The Cyprus Electricity Authority (EAC) undertook the permanent sponsorship for the exhibition of this Collection as a part of its celebration for its 50 years of existence.
The opening of the Pierides Museum of Contemporary Art in Glyfada, Attica in 1981 signaled the start of a constant and continuous effort for the acquisition of contemporary pieces of art, by both Greek and Cypriot artists. Mr. Demetris Z. Pierides’s initiative as well as the contribution of the Art Gallery’s curators, contributed to the ample success of this collection, numbering today more than 1100 works of art.
A selected part of this collection is permanently exhibited in five different halls in the Nicosia Municipal Arts Centre.
In this multi-patterned exhibition some of the most distinguished Greek and Cypriot artists of the post-war period are represented. The conjunction to the second half of the 20th century movements is evident. The exhibition includes works of art by Greek artists Alecos Fasianos, Michalis Manousakis, Costas Karahaliou, Nicolaos Nicou, Pavlos (Dionysopoulos), Georgios Lappas, Lambros Yatis, Thodoros (Papademetriou), Manolis Tzombanakis, Costas Tsoklis, Panayiotis Tanimanides, Costas Paniaras and Demetris Dokatzis.
The exhibition also hosts works of art by Cypriot artists Demetris Constantinou, Savvas Christodoulides, Nicos Kouroushis, Aggelos Makrides, Christos Petrides, Andreas Charalambides, Antonis Michaelides and Maria Andreou.
The art pieces of the permanent collection are periodically alternated.